Ambassador Commitment: Create meaningful connections and inspire actions that will have a lasting impact on conservation.
Responsibilities: The Mammal Department at Riverbanks Zoo and Garden is proud to offer an internship experience for qualified students. The purpose of an internship in our Mammal Department is to gain an in-depth knowledge and understanding of Riverbank’s mission and how it is achieved through various functions and operations throughout the zoo and garden.
Internship includes working with a variety of mammals, reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates.
• Mammals (Virginia opossums, rabbits, hedgehogs, tenrec, etc.)
• Reptiles (snakes, skinks, turtles, tortoises, lizards, etc.)
• Amphibians (frogs, toads, salamanders, etc.)
• Invertebrates (tarantulas, millipedes, etc.)
The categories of study during the internship include:
• Assist with daily maintenance of animal enclosures.
• Learn about animal nutrition- prepare and distribute diets.
• Learn about AZA (Association of Zoos and Aquariums), Studbooks, SSPs (Species Survival Programs), TAGs (Taxon Advisory Groups), and other aspects of zoo management.
• Design and implement environmental enrichment techniques.
• Assist animal keepers and veterinarians during medical procedures.
• Attend department meetings.
• Learn appropriate handling and transport of collection, ensuring that all animals receive top quality animal care.
• Observe operant conditioning techniques for all animals.
• Interact directly with guests during informal and formal programs, providing engaging and accurate educational information.
While interning with the Mammal Department you will observe and participate in the overall operation of the zoological facility. You will gain exposure to other departments that support the individual function and goals of the Mammal Department. During your internship at Riverbanks you will be exposed to a variety of management styles and approaches.
Requirements: Full time and part time unpaid internships are open to undergraduates seeking degrees in biology or related fields. Applicants must be able to work any day of the week, including weekends and holidays.