Ambassador Commitment: Create meaningful connections and inspire actions that will have a lasting impact on conservation.
The Events Department at Riverbanks Zoo and Garden is proud to offer an internship experience for qualified students and postgraduates. The purpose of an internship in our Events Department is to gain an in-depth knowledge and understanding of Riverbanks’ mission and how it is represented through various functions and operations throughout Riverbanks Zoo and Garden. The Riverbanks Events Team continually strives to ensure excellence in Riverbanks’ Signature Events, creating a one-of-a-kind product that sets Riverbanks events apart from others.
Under general supervision, you will be responsible for supporting the Events Team and all logistical details associated with events. This includes the planning, promotion, setup, execution, and breakdown of events. You will gain exposure to other departments that support the individual function and goals of the Events Department, offer input into projects, participate in meetings, and may be asked to assist other departments. During your internship, you will gain exposure to our daily operations and several Signature Events.
• Assist Events Manager with logistics of planning and executing events.
• Maintain updated event documents and records of event participation.
• Procure and organize inventory and supplies for events.
• Help brainstorm new, creative events, increase revenue streams at existing events, and enhance guest experiences while at events.
• Conduct a current industry and competitive landscape analysis of events occurring in the Columbia area to ensure that Riverbanks Zoo is reaching all possible audiences and providing fresh and trendy event experiences. Provide a recommendations report of noteworthy opportunities.
• Demonstrate appropriate logistical operations while advancing various events.
• Develop a project for an existing event and see it through from concept to creation.
• Study market trends and create a detailed proposal for a new event or project.
• Gain or improve your understanding of the logistics of event work.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, specifically Word and Excel
• Ability to efficiently organize tasks and time
• Attention to detail and ability to multi-task
• Strong work ethic, positive attitude, and professional communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, mission-driven organization
• Ability to remain on feet for long periods of time
• Ability to lift and move supplies up to 30 pounds
Applicants must be able to work events that may occur outside of regular work hours, including early mornings, late nights, and weekends according to the events calendar