Whether you’re admiring a garden, catching an animal presentation or talking with a member of our staff, Riverbanks Zoo and Garden strives to provide a consistent, excellent and memorable experience for all of our guests.
Riverbanks Zoo and Garden is dedicated to creating a high-quality recreational experience for all our visitors.
A complete list of Riverbanks Zoo and Garden’s services, presentations and attractions can be found on the visitor’s guide/map. If you need assistance during your visit, please ask any uniformed employee. For additional information prior to your visit, please call 803.779.8717.
All exhibits, restrooms, trams, restaurants and gift shops are wheelchair accessible; however, the upper portion of the Woodlands Walk nature trail is not.
Wheelchair-accessible restrooms and drinking fountain locations:
- Main Entry Plaza
- Discovery Center
- Ndoki Plaza
- Palmetto Plaza
- Carousel Plaza
- Bog Garden
- Botanical Garden Magnolia Center
- Waterfall Junction Learning Center
All Riverbanks guests are required to pay general admission fees or obtain a membership for entry into the Zoo and Garden.
First Aid/Public Safety
Public Safety and First Aid are located near the main entrance to the Zoo and at Waterfall Junction. In case of emergency, please notify a uniformed employee or call Public Safety at 803.602.0814.
Handicapped parking spaces are available in the Zoo’s visitor parking lot and the Garden’s visitor parking lot. Official state handicapped parking permit is required.
Riverbanks strives to provide an excellent and inclusive experience for all guests. Sensory Packs are available for check-out in Guest Relations at both the main Zoo entrance and the Garden entrance. Packs include items that may assist during your visit such as ear muffs, sunglasses, fidget toys, ice packs and photo books.
- Pets and companion animals are not allowed inside Riverbanks Zoo and Garden. Guests who rely on service dogs may bring them into the park, provided they follow Riverbanks’ policy and the policy outlined by ADA regarding proper control. Guests with service dogs are asked to stop by the Guest Relations desk prior to entering the park to receive a copy of Riverbanks’ policy. To view the full ADA policy, please visit the ADA website.
- Kennels are not available for those who need to leave their service animal during their Zoo stay.
- A complimentary tram runs every 5 to 10 minutes between the amphitheater in the Botanical Garden and the scenic Saluda River Footbridge that leads to the Zoo. The tram is accessible to wheelchair users, and the bridge spans the Saluda River for approximately 800 feet.
- Electronic convenience vehicles (ECVs), wheelchairs and strollers are available for rent at the Riverbanks Gift Shop just inside the Zoo entrance.
Two ATM machines are conveniently located in the Zoo and one at Waterfall Junction.
First Aid is located near the main entrance to the Zoo and at Waterfall Junction. In case of emergency, please notify a uniformed employee or call Public Safety at 803.602.0814.
Lost & Found
Lost & found is located at the Zoo’s main entrance.
- Riverbanks does not allow pets, food, drinks, coolers, skates or radios in the park. Exceptions to this rule may be granted for guests with special needs. Please inquire at the front gate.
- Please do not feed the animals.
- Riverbanks is a smoke-free facility.
A wooded area with picnic tables and trash facilities is located at the west end of the Zoo’s parking lot. There are no restrooms in the picnic area. Visitors may leave the Zoo for picnics and return to the park without any additional charge by presenting the original admission receipt. For the safety and comfort of our guests, the following items are not permitted in the picnic area: open fires, grills of any type, pets (except service dogs), fireworks, firearms, radios, alcohol or smoking.
Facility rentals and catering are available for private corporate events and weddings.
Riverbanks’ restrooms can accommodate large groups and are located in several areas throughout the park including the Zoo’s main entry plaza, near the Aquarium, across from the elephant exhibit, next to the Farm, and near the carousel. There are also facilities in the Bog Garden plaza at the Botanical Garden entrance, inside the Learning Center at Waterfall Junction and in the Magnolia Center in the Walled Garden. In addition, a private room for nursing mothers is located inside the SCE&G Guest Relations Center.
Complimentary tram rides are offered every 5 to 10 minutes between the amphitheater in the Botanical Garden and the scenic Saluda River Footbridge that leads to the Zoo. The tram is accessible to wheelchair users, and the bridge spans the Saluda River for approximately 800 feet.
Group discounts are available for groups of 15 or more. For the best rate, pay online in advance or make reservations two weeks prior to your visit.
The park is handicapped accessible except for the upper portions of the Woodlands Walk. Trams are wheelchair and stroller accessible. For the convenience of Riverbanks guests, wheelchairs and strollers are available for rent at the Riverbanks Gift Shop in the Zoo’s main entry plaza and at the Garden ticket booth. All rentals are first-come, first-served based on availability. No advance reservations are accepted.
- Single Stroller — $8.00*
- Double Stroller — $11.00*
- Wheelchair (manual) — $8.00*
- Electric Mobility Scooter (limited qty) — $33.00*
*All rentals are also subject to a $5.00 fully refundable deposit upon return and taxes.
Restaurants & Snacks
Base Camp Provisions
ICEE, soft pretzels, popcorn, and cotton candy.
Carousel Ice Cream Shop
ICEE, hand scooped ice cream, soft serve ice cream, popcorn, cotton candy, and souvenirs.
ICEE, soft serve ice cream, soft pretzels, popcorn, and cotton candy.
Hand-breaded chicken tenders, French fries, and beverages.
Ice Cream of the future.
ICEE ‘Mix It Up’, popcorn, and cotton candy.
(open daily at 9:00am)
Starbucks coffee, ICEE, soft serve ice cream, soft pretzels, popcorn, and cotton candy.
ICEE, soft pretzels, nachos, fountain beverages, popcorn, and cotton candy.
(open year round at 9:00am)
Fresh made-to-order salads and sandwiches, burgers, pizza, hand-battered chicken tenders, kid’s meals, fountain beverages, and Starbucks coffee.
Flatbread pizzas, pub chips, giant pretzels, wings, and beer.
NOW OPEN — Wild Burger
Hand-pressed, made to order specialty burgers, tater tots, soft pretzels, and beer.
Shops & Souvenirs
Carousel Ice Cream Shop
Have a sweet tooth? This is the spot for you! Enjoy a variety of candies, snacks, ice creams, and a kid-friendly selection of Riverbanks souvenirs.
Riverbanks Gift Shop
(open year round at 9:00am)
We have an enormous selection of Riverbanks souvenirs! Be sure to check out our ever-growing selection of clothing, hats, stuffed animals, toys, and much more. Stroller and wheelchair rentals also available.