Riverbanks’ Overnights feature behind-the-scenes tours, games, and other exciting activities for ages 5 and up. Dates are limited, so register early.
Private Group Overnights
Private Group Overnights are currently suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic. When our region has seen three consecutive weeks of declining infection rates, we will evaluate hosting this program again.
Scout Overnights for Small Troops and Packs
Looking for an overnight experience for a small Scout troop or pack that does not meet our minimum for group overnights? Then this opportunity is just for you! Select nights will be offered for Girl Scout troops or Cub/Boy Scout packs to join others to enjoy the Zoo’s night life.
- Cost :
$50 per participant.
- Capacity :
A minimum of 25 individual registered participants is required to conduct all small Scout group overnight programs as scheduled.
- Note :
Each overnight includes a hands-on program, snack, continental breakfast, and admission to explore Riverbanks Zoo and Garden the next day. All participants must be 5 years old or older. All children under 18 years old should be accompanied by a parent or designated adult chaperone.
Family on Safari
Looking for a fun and exciting adventure for the whole family? Join other families to get wild at Riverbanks while enjoying hands-on activities, scavenger hunts, a pizza dinner and more! All programs include a continental breakfast and admission to Riverbanks Zoo and Garden the following day!
- Cost :
$60 per person (members); $65 per person (non-members).
- Note :
Children may not be left unattended. Individuals must be accompanied by an adult. A minimum of 25 individual registered participants is required to conduct all Family on Safari programs as scheduled.
Important Registration Information Please read through all of the steps before contacting us to reserve a date.
Registration for Private Group Overnights must occur at least four weeks in advance. Dates are limited and fill quickly particularly in the Spring and during Special Events. Scout Overnights for Small Troops and Packs and Family on Safari will be filled in the order registrations are received and will be canceled if the minimum participant requirement is not met two weeks in advance of the event.
- Make sure that you have read the Cancellation Policy and FAQs information prior to registration.
- Scout Overnights for Small Troops and Packs, and Family on Safari registrations can be submitted on-line using the “Register for Program” button below the list of scheduled dates and times.
- Pay a deposit using a credit card to reserve your date.
- Scout Overnights for Small Troops and Packs and Family on Safari Overnights require payment on-line at the time of registration.
- Private Group Overnights will be charged a $300 deposit 14 days from the time of registration via phone. This deposit will be deducted from the final balance. The signed Group Leader contract should also be received via email at the time of the deposit payment. Please note, if a deposit and group leader contract is not received, your date is not reserved.
- Once we have received your deposit and Group Leader contract, Riverbanks Zoo and Garden will send your confirmation materials.
- Your final payment and/or roster of participants will be due 10 days prior to your overnight event. Final payment may be made by credit card or check. Riverbanks Zoo reserves the right to cancel any scheduled overnight if final payment and roster is not received by this deadline. After this deadline, no additional participants may be added to your group total and no refunds will be issued.
- Print out the following required documents, distribute to your group members and bring the signed forms with you to your sleepover:
Cancellation requests must be made at least three weeks before your scheduled overnight date to receive a refund of your deposit. Requests must be submitted in writing at email@example.com. Riverbanks Zoo and Garden will retain a 10% processing fee. Deposits are non-refundable and non-transferable should the group cancel or need to change a date within three weeks of the scheduled overnight.
All Private Group Overnights must meet and/or pay for the minimum 25 participants. Refunds will not be provided for individuals who do not show up for the event.
In the rare event that Riverbanks Zoo and Garden must cancel the scheduled event, all deposits or money received will be reimbursed or an option to reschedule will be provided. Notification of cancellation will be provided at least ten days prior to the scheduled event (unless weather-related). Riverbanks Zoo and Garden is not liable for any other expenses that the guest may have incurred in the preparation and execution of the event.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where do we sleep?
Sleeping accommodations vary depending on the overnight program. Participants will either sleep inside the Colonial Life Discovery Center Classrooms, Sea Lion Landing interpretive building or in tents at Riverbanks Botanical Garden. Air mattresses are discouraged due to space limitations and restricted to adult use only. A limited number of sleeping mats are available for participants. Bathrooms are located inside the Discovery Center, Sea Lion Landing and within a short walking distance from the lawn at Waterfall Junction children’s garden.
Are showers available?
Showers are not available.
Are meals provided?
Overnights include a light snack in the evening and a continental breakfast with juice and coffee. Dinner is not included unless specified in the program description. Groups may add a pizza dinner or hot breakfast to any program for an additional fee. Overnights with dinner begin at 6:00pm; guests arriving after 6:40pm will not be served. Outside food and drinks are restricted to guests with special dietary needs. If anyone in your group has any dietary concerns it is their responsibility to bring their own food and to notify the Overnight Instructor.
What ages can attend?
All participants must be at least five years old. Younger siblings are not permitted for any portion of the program.
Can boys and girls sleep in separate areas?
Yes, we can accommodate requests for separate sleeping quarters for all programs with the exception of Coastal Close Up.
Is there storage space for luggage/sleeping bags while the group visits the park following the overnight?
No; all groups will be escorted out of the park by 8:45am to pack their vehicles/buses before returning to enjoy the park.
Can we buy souvenirs during the program?
The gift shop will not be open during the program but can be visited the following day with included Riverbanks admission. You may pre-order “I SURVIVED THE NIGHT AT RIVERBANKS ZOO” glow-in-the dark black T-shirts ($15 each) or specially designed Riverbanks logo patch ($4 each). Please submit your order with your final payment.
What do we need to bring with us?
We recommend packing light as you will carry your items a short distance into the park to the area you will be sleeping. Please mark all items with names to avoid mix-ups when preparing to leave.
- signed participant waiver
- signed chaperone contract (adults)
- sleeping bag and pillow
- comfortable walking shoes
- modest pajamas
- water bottle
- change of clothes
- weather appropriate outerwear (i.e. rain coat, jacket, etc.)
- camera (optional)
- bug spray (optional)
- flashlight for adults only
Riverbanks is a non-smoking facility. Overnight instructors must remain with the group at all times and are not able to escort individuals outside the gates for smoking breaks during the overnight. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Questions about Riverbanks Overnights?
Please call 803.602.0803 or email us.