Doing your part to support Riverbanks' mission to foster appreciation and concern for all living things.
Given objectives set by the President & CEO, is responsible for the strategic and day-to day-operation of Riverbanks Zoo & Garden. Maintains Riverbanks’ mission as a guiding principle in all decisions and actions. Creates and promotes a work environment and culture that reflects the Zoo's values, and continually reviews and reinforces the mission and vision of the Zoo and Garden. Accomplishes this by mentoring, managing, and providing inspired, forward-thinking, innovative leadership to senior managers in the following departments/functions: Guest Services (includes Admissions, Attractions, Grounds & Housekeeping, and Public Safety), IT Administration, and Facilities Management which includes Maintenance, Project Management, Exhibit Design, Life Support Systems and Dive Program.
- Coordinates the activities of a committed team of senior executives in assigned areas. Works with them to develop short and long range objectives, policies, protocols, training and procedures that are in alignment with Riverbanks’ mission and strategic plan.
- Develops and oversees a budget of approximately $4.7 million, with a keen interest in maximizing resources for effective operations.
- Regularly evaluates and facilitates improved operations in assigned areas to ensure the effective and efficient support of the institution’s strategic plan and annual operating budget.
- Works collaboratively with the senior management team, who report to the President & CEO, to plan and achieve organizational goals.
- Cultivates and maintains effective relationships with Riverbanks Park Commission Members, Society Board Members, employees, donors, volunteers, and community leaders.
- Provides assistance to the President & CEO in finalizing operations recommendations and preparing and delivering monthly operations progress reports for the Commission.
- Determines and implements strategies and best practices to increase attendance, build image, increase revenue, and provide outstanding guest services.
- Sets direction for Riverbanks’ public image and implements strategies to support that.
- Contributes to various organization-wide initiatives and projects.
- Some travel required to attend meetings, professional development opportunities or conferences.
- Reports to the President & CEO.
Education and Experience:
Bachelors degree in a related field with 5+ years of operations management experience in a Zoo/Aquarium or related industry with a working knowledge of Admissions, Attractions, Public Safety, Grounds and Housekeeping, IT Administration, Facilities, and Life Support Systems. 5+ years of staff management experience at a senior level. A strong history of progressive management experience in an executive capacity.
The best candidate will be a proven leader in crisis management and have a strong safety background. Must be able to work a flexible schedule, and adjust working hours to meet special deadlines and projects. Will be called to respond to emergencies. Must be a strategic and creative thinker with strong oral, written and presentation skills. Ability to lead and manage people to accomplish major projects. Relationship and negotiation skills a must.
Energetic and pro-active leader. Ability to work independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority. Skilled at handling multiple projects simultaneously, while working effectively and efficiently under deadlines. Knowledge of plant and facility management (trades, permitting, codes, etc.) building control systems, communication systems, building design and construction. Conflict resolution and problem solving skills required. Dedication to excellence and to the consistent fulfillment of Riverbanks’ mission.