What should my camper bring to Zoo Camp each day?
- Lunch—non-refrigerated, non-microwavable (KinderCampers do not need to bring lunch).
- Snack—pack two snacks if attending extended stay and play.
- Filled water bottle (1 to 2).
- Sunscreen and bug spray (please apply before sign-in; counselors cannot apply).
- Weather appropriate clothes (including a rain jacket).
- Appropriate footwear (please no flip flops, open-toed shoes or sandals).
- Camp T-shirt should be worn every day. Each camper will receive one complimentary T-shirt on the first day of camp.
Please be sure to put your child’s name on all items they bring to camp!
What if I forget to send them a lunch, snack or water bottle one day?
You can bring the forgotten item(s) to the reception window at Gate 8/Employee Entrance for drop off (right-hand side parking lot after you cross the railroad tracks into the Zoo) and an education staff member will be sure to get it to the appropriate place.
What should my camper NOT bring to Zoo Camp?
- Car seats cannot be stored during the day at the Zoo.
- Money for food or gift shop.
- Any electronics (including hand held video games, cell phones, iPods/MP3 players, CD players, etc.)
- Personal toys, stuffed animals or trading cards.
- Family pets.
Can I bring cake or other food items for my child’s birthday to share with other children?
Some of our campers have special dietary needs and allergies. All birthday cakes, cupcakes or other food requests for camp must be submitted on the first day of camp (Monday), approved by the Camp Director and written permission received from individual parents/guardians prior to bringing items in for the class.
What if I want to purchase an additional Zoo Camp T-shirt during the week of camp?
Additional camp T-shirts can be purchased by cash or check from the Camp Director during morning drop off. T-shirts are $15 each.
My child will need to take medication during the day or carries an EpiPen. What do I do?
On the first day of camp, you will be asked to fill out a Medicine Administration Form. This form will provide staff with the necessary information for administering any medication. All medicines except EpiPens should be given to the Camp Director during morning drop off. EpiPens can be given to the camper’s counselor to carry with their first aid supplies during the day. The Camp Director will be responsible for supervising and administering all medication for ALL campers. Medications will be sent home at the end of each day with campers, unless otherwise coordinated with the Camp Director.
What if I am running late to pick up my camper OR if I want to pick up my child early?
- There will be a Late Pick Up charge of $10 for every 5 minutes you are late picking up your child (after 12:15pm for KinderCamp; after 3:15pm for Spring Break Camp, Wild Weeks and Winter Break Camp; and after 5:15pm for Extended Stay campers.)
- If you anticipate that you will be late for morning drop-off or late for the afternoon pick-up, or if you need to pick up your child early for any reason, please let the Camp Director know the day before, or if last minute please call the Education Department at 803.602.0803. Upon arriving at the Zoo, please come to the reception window at Gate 8/Employee Entrance to drop off your camper or pick them up.
Is early drop off or extended stay available for KinderCamp?
Early drop off for KinderCamp is available for an additional $25 per camper. This allows you to drop off your child between 7:45–8:30am. Regular drop off is 8:30–9:00am. Early drop off can be purchased online or from the Camp Director the first day of camp (space is limited; we recommend purchasing in advance). There is NO afternoon EXTENDED STAY AND PLAY option for KinderCamp. We apologize for any inconvenience.
My child has a friend coming to Zoo Camp the same week. Can they be put in the same group?
Yes, as long as they are in the same age bracket and there is space. Please email Elisa Roberts or call 803.602.0803 a week in advance with both the camper’s name and and the parent/guardian’s name of the camper with whom you would like to be grouped.
Can I put my child in another age group than their actual age?
Zoo Camp activities are designed for specific age groups and space is limited per age group. We do NOT allow children to be moved into another age bracket for any reason. There are no exceptions to this policy.
Can I accompany my child to camp one day during the week?
Safety is always our top priority at Riverbanks Zoo and Garden. Adults are not permitted to participate in Zoo Camp activities due to space limitations and safety policies. The only exception to this rule is Sprout Camp or if your child has special needs and must be assisted by an adult to attend camp. All adults must be over 21 years old, have received written permission two weeks prior from the Camp Director and have submitted proof of a background check (at their own expense) prior to accompanying a camper.
What if my child is sick the week they are registered or if I need to reschedule my week of Zoo Camp?
- Written cancellation must be received at least two weeks before the scheduled program date in order to receive a refund minus a $30 processing fee.
- A $30 processing fee will be charged for rescheduling a reservation. Rescheduling is subject to space availability.
- No refunds will be issued for cancellations made less than two weeks before the program date.
- Riverbanks Zoo and Garden reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any activity. A full refund will be issued or reservations will be rescheduled if Riverbanks cancels any activity.
Where do I drop off and pick up my camper each day of camp?
Zoo Campers ages 4 to 12 will need to be signed in and signed out at the Zoo’s electric gate aka Ndoki Gateway (to the far left of the main Zoo entrance). Parents must walk up in the morning to drop off their campers. For afternoon pick up, parents are encouraged to use the car line and remain in their vehicles for counselors to check their IDs and have campers walked to them. In the event of rain or extreme heat, parents will be asked to walk in through the electric gate to Gorilla Base Camp (indoor viewing area) to drop off or pick up their camper.
Where does Sprout Camp meet?
Sprout Camp is held at Riverbanks Botanical Garden If you have a child in regular Zoo Camp, you may drop them off at the electric gate and then enter the Zoo’s main gate at 9:00am to ride the tram up to the Garden for Sprout Camp.
What is the Zoo’s tax ID number?